Where is French spoken?
What are the challenges your company will face when trying to reach French-speaking audiences worldwide? What’s at stake here? It could go a couple of ways. You can effectively engage and sell to your new market or instead you could confuse and alienate this new market with an inappropriate French translation. You need to understand if there is a ‘Standard French’ that will be universally understood or if the market you are trying to reach requires a specific dialect. Put another way, you need to know how to navigate the linguistic and cultural waters and avoid the hidden reefs and shoals that can wreck your ship.
A brief humorous interlude on linguistic ambiguity from the classic, The Princess Bride.
- 300 million people worldwide speak French
- 5th most spoken language in the world after, Mandarin Chinese, English, Spanish, and Arabic
- 29 countries have French as the official language
- 2nd most used language, after English, in diplomacy
- 3rd most used language in business
- Annual Revenue $50 billion (2019 est.)
- The e-commerce penetration rate of 77.4% (2019 est.)
- Annual Revenue $9.1 billion (2018)
- E-commerce penetration rate 58% (2018)
- Do your research and consult with experts to learn the buying habits of the new target market.
- Make the new website appear to be native to that country. Did you know that 62% of Canadian e-commerce buyers prefer to buy from a ‘.ca’ address? Of course, that makes sense but as you plan your go to market strategy you might not remember it.
Finally, you can read about Irena, one of MotaWord’s many professional translators doing French translation work. She does French translations into English and German with particular care. German Translator in Switzerland: A Translator Shares Their LifeAnd… for a free quote on your French translation or any of your translation needs, 24/7, click this link.